To add Branch Events, you need to be an authorised editor for your Branch.
For new Branch Events Editors
You will need to carry out the following procedure:
1. Register an account - using the feature at the very top of this web page (near the date).
2. Notify the Web Editor that you have registered and that you need to be authorised.
NB If you are not the designated Chairman/woman of your Branch, your Chairman/woman will need to confirm formally by email to the Web Editor that you are the nominated and authorised Branch Events Editor.
3. Once you are authorised on this website, the Web Editor will confirm this action and notify you.
4. Notify the Web Editor of your regular meeting venue address, including post code (zip code).
For authorised and registered Branch Events Editors
Adding events is easy and a guide has been published to do this. If your Branch Chairman/woman has not kept his/her copy, please inform the Web Editor who will send you a copy.
It is important to remember that you will need to return here to this page to log in, and then to see and use the Add Events menu item in the User Menu which will appear to the right of this article only after you have been duly authorised and you are logged-in.
Please note that you can only add events. Amending them subsequently, or deleting them later, or adding new venues, etc are carried out by the Web Editor. Please contact him to make these types of changes.
Any technical problems, please contact the Web Manager (lthough they are now one and the same person since the April 2009 AGM).
- You don't need to add a closing date if your event is on a single day
- Times should be entered using the 24hr clock in the format HH:MM (note colon) (remember that the correct syntax is 09:00 or 19:00; the system adjusts the time to a 12 hour clock for the front end visitor).
- Avoid using unusual punctuation eg an ampersand (&) and double quotation marks ( "xyz " ) in your event talk or meeting title. In fact, avoid any special characters and stick to letters, numbers, colons and hyphens. If you absolutely need to use quotation marks, use only single quotes, not double.
- If your venue is not listed, or changes - temporarily or permanently - please advise the Web Editor of the details. Please include a post code for your venue (for mapping), and if there is a website for your venue, please enclose it too.
- Please add as much detail as you can about your event in the "Description" section. Experience has shown that the more you can add, the better an audience is informed and prepared, and the more visitors you will likely get along to your meeting.
- If you are on a Branch away day or tour, or going to a temporary venue, use the special "venues": "Location Visit" or "Please see event details for venue" (and add the event venue guidance there) rather than leave the venue blank. This helps to avoid confusion with potential attendees.
- Once you have pushed your "save" button, your event should appear immediately on the front end of the site under your branch listing or for that date. So, please don't bash on and add (say) twelve months' events without checking that the first one you have done has appeared under your Branch name and that you have got it right. Test at all stages.
Finally, please also bear in mind that you can also add your events to the Front Forum, edit them, and keep them up to date. You can even have your own Branch sub-Forum there. You may attract a different section of interest by doing so and more attendees to your Events.
(By the way, if you know of any good and relevant Great War web links useful for this site (non-commercial), please use the same menu to "Submit a Web Link" to the website.)