3 October 1915 Brigadier General Frank Wormald CBBrigadier General Frank Wormald CB, late 12th (Prince of Wales's Royal) Lancers Cdg, 5th Cavalry Brigade.

Frank Wormald was born in February 1868 to a local mill-owning dynasty that had for a number of generations run the blanket manufacturing firm of Wormald and Walker in Dewsbury, Yorkshire. He was the son of John and Annie Wormald and husband of Gwynifred Wormald of 10 Walton Place London (this property is adjacent to Harrods).

He joined the army in 1889 and saw service in the Boer War, commanding a mobile column of his regiment, the 12th (Prince of Wales's Royal) Lancers. In 1912 he took command of his regiment. Frank was a successful big game hunter in India and Africa and was a well known polo player.

On 28 August 1914 ‘C' Squadron of the 12th Lancers, led by Lieutenant-Colonel Frank Wormald made a most successful charge at Moy against squadrons of the 1st and 2nd Garde Dragoner (Prussian Dragoons) supported by the fire of A and B Squadrons, J Battery RHA and the Scots Greys; he was wounded in this action. He rejoined his regiment three weeks later, commanding it until July 1915 when he was promoted to command the 5th Cavalry Brigade.

On 3 October Frank was killed by shrapnel whilst going around the trenches at Vermelles where men from his brigade were employed clearing up the battlefield and reconstructing trenches. He is buried at Nedonchel Churchyard in France.

Within Holy Innocents Parish, very close to the Wormald and Walker Mill in Dewsbury, the following is recorded:

In Loving Memory of
Brigadier General Frank Wormald C.B
Born 10th February 1868
who was killed in action
Near Hulluch, on
the 3rd October 1915 when in command of the
5th Cavalry Brigade. He was severely wounded on
August 28th 1914 at Cerizy when commanding his
Regiment the XII Royal Lancers. He also served
with distinction in the South African Campaign
1899 - 1902 both with his Regts the XII Royal Lancers
and in command of a mobile column
He is buried at Nedonchelle in France

Non Immemor
"Till the Day Break"

3 October 1915

Research by David Tattersfield MA, WFA Development Trustee.


Add comment

Security code

Back to top