Col. Terry Cave CBE
Terry’s father, Arthur, fought in the Great War. He joined up on 1 September 1914, serving in the 7th Leicesters – arriving on the Western Front in July 1915. Terry joined his father on a return visit to the battlefields of the Ypres Salient in 1937 which sparked his life-time fascination with the Great War. Terry was commissioned into the 2nd (King Edward VII’s Own) Gurkha Rifles in 1942, aged 19, and served with them in India, Italy and Greece. After the Second World War, Terry received a regular commission and joined his father’s old regiment. He served 11 years with the Royal Leicesters, travelling to Hong Kong, Germany and Sudan. In 1958 he was one of an initial 100 volunteer officers who formed the Intelligence Corps and, as a result, he travelled further afield, including a tour of duty in the Cameroons. After a spell as Military Attaché in Budapest during the Cold War, he served in Germany. He finished his army career as Defence and Security Attaché in Czechoslovakia, and he retired from the army in 1974. Terry was appointed CBE in the same year. This was not the end of his working career because he then joined the Defence Intelligence Staff, finally retiring in 1986. Terry Cave joined the WFA in the summer of 1981. After making a visit to ‘Y’ Ravine Cemetery in Beaumont Hamel where, as usual, he left his name in the visitors’ book, Terry was contacted by a member of the WFA committee inviting him to become a member. Terry, along with his son Nigel, immediately joined the Association. Within a year, Terry was appointed to be one of the three Vice Presidents of the WFA by founder John Giles, as well as acting as Historical Information Officer of the WFA. He was also Chairman for a few months in the mid-1980s. Following the death in 2004 of our second Patron, John Terraine, Correli Barnett suggested that Terry be appointed. This proposal was unanimously agreed at WFA’s next AGM. Terry continues in his role as Patron to the present day.