The Western Front Association PhD Grant Scheme is offered to provide research scholars the opportunity to enrich their research so that it makes a new and definitive contribution to the knowledge of the First World War. The Western Front Association wishes to build upon its track record of supporting exciting and innovative research into the Great War and is offering a number of individual grants of up to the value of £2,000 to successful applicants.
This year The WFA grants offered will be as follows:
- Up to 2 x £2,000 awards
- Up to 4 x £1,000 awards
Awarded as a flat amount.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Registered on a recognised PhD/MPhil Programme, either full or part time.
- Can be registered at a UK or International Higher Education Institution.
- Applicants must be in their second (or later) year of study when they hold the award.
- Topic to be related to the First World War, though does not have to be limited to the Western Front.
- The award of the grant is subject to the receipt of a reference from one of the applicant’s supervisors.
- The successful applicant will acknowledge support of The Western Front Association in their final PhD submission.
- The successful applicant agrees to produce a short article for Stand To! or The Western Front Association website.
Application Deadline: Tuesday 1st December 2020
Successful candidates will be notified by January 2021.
Applications will be assessed by a Committee consisting of the Universities Trustee, the President, and another Trustee, and will make recommendations to be approved by the Executive Committee.
Download the PhD Grant Application.
Make it clear in your application how the research will further study of the First World War and how you will make use of the grant.
If you would like to get in touch with Dr Will Butler, The Western Front Association Universities Trustee, to discuss the grants programme please do.
Once completed you should send your application to Dr Butler.